Sunday, May 8, 2011

Fish Plaki - Ψαρι Πλακι


My dad's garden









My dad's garden

I am back after being absent for a few weeks. I went back home to Cyprus to visit my parents and my immediate family. I have to admit that it was a very emotional visit since my father hasn’t been well. I spent a lot of quality time with both of my parents and was mostly with them while in Cyprus. As I expected it was extremely hard to say goodbye and leave them behind in a very fragile state of health…

While I was back home I baked with my sister traditional Easter pastries as well as other delicacies and consumed a lot of these creations :-). I was able to bring  back with me a couple of new recipes which I need to try out soon and share with you.
… and since Easter is long gone, I decided to share a different kind of recipe today using fish and seasonal vegetables. I will share my Easter pastries’ recipes later on in the year.

Easter Pastries - Flaounes

In today’s recipe I use whole fish something that’s unusual in the U.S. It’s a very common way of cooking fish back home though. I hope I can encourage you to try it out. It’s a simple, yet easy and healthy recipe to execute.

Snaper



 





Fish Plaki
2 ½ pounds whole fish – snapper or other similar fish
2 ½ pounds red potatoes
1 ½ cups chopped tomatoes
2 medium onions
2 cups chopped parsley
1-2 lemons
1 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves
3 bay leaves
Salt
Pepper

Peel and slice the potatoes – ¼ inch thick. Place in cold water so they don’t turn brown.
Wash and slice the lemons; set aside.
If using whole fish, clean it from the intestines and the scales. Wash in cold water.
Peel the onions and cut in semi-circles. On high heat sauté the onions in half of the olive oil. Add the finely chopped garlic. Slowly add the chopped tomatoes and bay leaves. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Lastly, add the chopped parsley. Stir and remove from the heat.
In a deep baking dish place the potatoes in layers. Season with salt. Drizzle over them the remaining olive oil.

Place the fish on top of the sliced potatoes. Place a few lemon slices on top of the fish and then pour part of the tomato sauce.
Fish Plaki

Cover with parchment paper and bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes or until you can easily fork the fish.
A few minutes before removing from the oven remove the parchment paper so the fish can get a nice golden color on top.
Cooked Fish Plaki

Serve immediately.
Καλη ορεξη!!!


Makes 4-6 servings

 Till next time stay well!

3 comments:

  1. Oh My God !!! It looks so delicious. its my favorite food and i love fish recipes. amazing this post and cool idea .thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your positive and encouraging comments! Have you tried the fish recipe? Any feedback will be very well received! :-)

    ReplyDelete